Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Speed (Not) Session and GTA IV

Today's schedule called for ATP. This was the first time I could make it in a few weeks as I have had softball the past few weeks. As I woke up this morning with my ribs hurting again today and as I turned around to try to parallel park before the run, they really start to hurt. Given this, I wasn't expecting much out of the workout tonight. I got there a little early and got a good 5 miles in before anyone else showed up. No names mentioned :), but as it was nearly 10 minutes after the scheduled start, I was ready to head back to the car when the other two showed up. Since I wasn't expecting to be able to do many of the exercises tonight and the motivation of at least one of the other two was pretty low, we pretty much called off the workout. We did two miles and called it a night.

Since my ribs have now been bothering me for a good 10 days, I'm starting to wonder if maybe I need to take a week or two off completely and try let myself heal. Since the race is only 5 weeks away, I don't think that's the best idea. I'm hoping that over the next couple weeks things will heal a bit and then as I start to taper for RnR, that will force me to take it a bit easier. Maybe that will give me the recovery time I'm looking for. How frustrating would that be though to deal with sore ribs for 4+ weeks. I hope it doesn't come to that.

As of now, the plan is to do a good long tempo run on Thursday after work. I decided against running to work tomorrow and since I slacked off tonight, I think I will do some fartlek tomorrow too to get a 2nd speed session in for the week.

I'm really noticing that I need a plan. This "figure it out as I go" thing just isn't cutting it. As I prepare for my fall marathon (hopefully St. George), I'm going to follow the modified FIRST training program I did last year for St. George. That way I have specific speed sessions and other workout for each week. That gives me something to follow and it will make me faster. I'll post the plan once I find out what race I'm doing.

Since I have so much spare time with absolutely nothing to do, I decided to buy a new PS3 game today. As I'm sure every single other gamer out there did today, I bought Grand Theft Auto IV. This game has been given nearly perfect to perfect scores by nearly all reviewers. I loved the prior versions and seeing it on a next gen system will be awesome. It's 8:30 now. What the over/under on the amount of hours I play tonight? I'm guessing two, but I'm going to try keep it to one. I have so many other things that I need to do tonight, I can't really even do 1 hour, but I at least need to check it out. My tendency in games like this is to say, "OK, just one more thing". The next thing I know, my alarm is going off as it's time to get up for work. I really hope that doesn't happen tonight.


Food Journal


Food
  • 1 1/2 bowls Nature Valley Crunchy Cinnamon Cereal with 10 oz Skim Milk
  • left over spaghetti with red sauce and red bell peppers
  • Peanut Butter and Pretzels
  • 6 Life Savers
  • PowerBar
  • Campbell's Beef with Country Vegetable (with hot peppers)
  • 1/2 sleeve Crackers
  • 5 Otter Pops
Drink
  • 100 oz Water
  • ~30 oz Coffee
  • 12 oz Diet Dr. Pepper
  • 12 of Mountain Dew
  • 12 oz Skim Milk

No comments: