Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Softball Season Started Today

Today was the start of my 7th or 8th season in this beer league. I've always been a very competitive person always wanting to win and do the best that I can do. I expect the same from players on my team. Over the years of playing with this team, I have had to learn to keep my temper and not expect things from this team. With that said, this team has always been one of the best in the league and we've won the title before. I noticed last fall when I played in my first competitive league in 6 years that I had lost some of the fire that I used to have. By the end of the season, I could tell it was starting to come back. This was with playing on season in a competitive league with a team that spent the entire season fighting for the cellar. Given this history of this beer team, I expected us to be good. It started out with a 4 or 5 people that I have never seen before introducing themselves to the coach and other players. I started warming up with one of the guys that I have played with over the years and one of the new guys comes in to throw. I tend to throw a bit hard, but since this was my first time out in something like 6 months and I had just started, I was taking it easy. He could not get his glove in front of the ball and he kept turning his glove the wrong way. Uh oh. Sadly enough, he was somewhere in the middle of the talent pool of the 6-7 new players we got this year. One guy was pretty good and got on base 2 out of 3 times in the lead off spot and knew how to catch a ball. That's more than I can say for the rest of them. It was very, very ugly. This is going to be an extremely long season. Earlier today I passed on joining another league that plays less than 10 minutes from my house. I'm rethinking that decision now. To make matters worse, we had 14 players show up so I only got up three times. I usually play third, but since we lost all the guys that play shortstop, I moved over. The new guy that they put at third did a pretty good job of stopping a lot of things hit his way. Anyway, enough of all that nonsense. I'm going to be surprised if we find a way to win 2 games this year. My performance in the field tonights was ok. I made some good plays, but made two silly plays. I bobbled one and didn't get the throw to first in time and the worst one came when a woman came to bat. She hit hard and consistently hit it between third and short. So I was on the move before the pitch and was in perfect position for the ball hit right to me and then, bloop, right through the five hole. Damn it! That's no good for me. At bat, I flew out in my first attempt, hit a 3 run homerun over the right fields head and then a 2 run double in the third at bad. 2-3, 2 runs scored, 5 RBIs.

I watched American Idol this tonight and had very low expectations as I'm not a huge Mariah Carey fan. I thought both Davids did very well tonight. David Cook is very talented and will go on to much success (like Daughtry) whether he wins or not. I'm a bit worried for Brooke as she did not do that well tonight. I put the performances in this order for the night:
  1. David Cooke - Great bounce back after last week. Guaranteed star after Idol
  2. David Archuleta - I just love his voice, but not sure how he will do on pop stations
  3. Brooke White - I liked it, but think America may not
  4. Kristy Lee Cook - I think she should be one of the next off the show, but being backed by VoteForTheWorst, I think she'll be around for a few more weeks. She will be successful on country stations.
  5. Carly Smithson - talented, but seems to over sing or something every week
  6. Jason Castro - not the most talented, but unique
  7. Syesha Mercado - sang pretty good, but boring; would enjoy her on the radio
There was no running again today. This is my 2nd day of in the last three. I was still struggling from last week, that should be resolved now. I plan to run 6-8 tomorrow on a hilly course. As I plan a commute run again on Thursday with a 6-7 mile tempo, I probably won't push it too hard tomorrow. I'm itching to get back out there which I fine to be a very good sign. I think this indicate that I am not pushing myself towards over over training at this point, even with a 95 mile week.

Yes! Cubs win again. As we usually start out slow, this is a great sign. We are supposed to be good and even though we are struggling a bit, staring out 8-5 in tremendous. Maybe this is the year we finally put an end to this stupid streak and stupid curse.

I guess I've rambled on enough at this point.


Diet


Food
  • 2 bowls Cinnamon Oatmeal Squares with ~10 oz Skim Milk
  • 2 slices thin crust Pepperoni Pizza
  • Orange Cream Yoplait Yogurt
  • Large Protein Berry Workout from Jamba Juice (with Whey) and Protein
  • Pita Chips and Hummus
Drink
  • 131 oz Water
  • 42 oz Coffee
  • 12 oz Diet Dr. Pepper
  • 12 of Diet Coke
Comments
I decided to stop giving myself a grade here as it's very subjective. Yesterday I ate a couple bad things and had tons of caffeine, but gave myself a good grade for eating better than normal. I'll just use this section for general comments on the diet for the day. I probably did not eat enough again today, but as I didn't work out, it may be OK. I had to quickly get some lunch and stuff it down as I only had a few minutes for lunch today. I think the high calories and fat in the pizza keep me satiated throughout the day.

P.S. Sorry for the add that is currently showing in the post footer. I'm trying to add functionality to each post and it put the ad in there. I'll work on removing it.

No comments: