Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Biggest Loser Finale and Good Luck Boston Marathon Runners

My run today was uneventful. The battery was dead in my GPS so I had to go to my Polar so I could still track my heart rate. I used http://www.MapMyRun.com to find my distance. On this site I was also to get an elevation number. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but according to the site I did a bit over 600 feet climbing and descending. It definitely felt like more than that, but at this point I'll have to wait until I do this run again with my Garmin 305. So I ended with about 9.25 miles at a relatively easy effort. Tomorrow I do 25+ with a good tempo likely in the 2nd half. The motivation of needing to get my speed up so I can do a 3:07 will push me. What's a 3:07 look like? It looks like it's a steady 7:08 /mile pace for 26.2 miles. On some courses I'd say I'm up for it. At Rock and Roll San Diego, I'm not so sure. Especially considering it will likely be a slight bit humid. If I can average 6:50 again tomorrow during my tempo run of 6-8 miles, I think I will feel a lot more comfortable with that goal finishing time (and a PR). Tomorrow is supposed to be mid 80s again. So I don't think the run will be at all easy.

I saw the finale for The Biggest Loser tonight. Ali took it down as I thought she might. It's amazing that she was able to put up such big numbers week after week. Especially as she kept getting smaller and smaller. I can't imagine anyone looking at her could ever imagine she used to be overweight. The idea of someone losing 50% of their body weight is mind boggling. Yet this show motivates people to do that season after season. Most do not lose numbers that big, but even those that weren't on the show very long still were able to lose 50 pounds and more. It's so motivating seeing these normal, everyday people get so inspired and motivated to improve their lives.

Their wasn't time to watch the American Idol results today. That will have to wait until tomorrow. As this season is not that exciting, waiting is not that painful. I must say though, DVR is the one of the best things ever invented in life. :)

Three of my training partners are running the Boston Marathon on Monday April 21. Two are going in under trained and one is going in fighting an injury. They all are approaching the race with the goal of finishing. That is a great idea for this race. Boston is set on a pedestal by many marathoners. Unless you are naturally gifted, you need to work hard to get your marathon time down to a preset standard. For many, the act of qualifying should be accomplishment enough. Of course, this is one of those do as I say, rather then do as I do. When I ran Boston back in 2004, I over trained to such a ridiculous level, that it took me over a year to get back into running in any consistent manner. It's pretty amazing looking back at my training logs that I was unable to see this. At least I was able to learn from my mistakes. I just hope I can help others to use their experience as something to enjoy rather than something that needs to be a stressful, depressing waste of time as it was for me. So, good luck to the three of you and I'm hoping for perfect weather this year.


Food Journal


Food
  • 2 bowls Strawberry Medley Cereal with ~10 oz Skim Milk
  • 6 oz Orange Cream Yogurt
  • PowerBar
  • Campbell's Chunky Chili
  • 1/2 sleeve Crackers
  • Sherbet with Light Whipped Cream
  • Turkey Cheese Burger on 2 pieces of wheat toast
  • Brown Rice
  • Corn & Peas
Drink
  • 137 oz Water
  • ~40 oz Coffee
  • 12 oz Tea
  • 12 oz Diet Dr. Pepper
  • 12 oz Diet Coke
  • 12 oz Beer (Down Town Brown)
  • 12 oz Skim Milk
  • 2 glasses red wine
Comments
Ate a bit more today as I haven't been eating enough the past few days. I have felt it and the scale has backed me up on this. Since I have a 25+ mile run tomorrow, I need to make sure I have enough fuel for the run. Three of my training partners are running the Boston Marathon on Monday April 21. Two are going in undertrained and one is going in fighting an injury. They all are approaching the race with the goal of finishing. That is a great idea for this race. Boston is set on a pedestal by many marathoners. Unless you are naturally gifted, you need to work hard to get your marathon time down to a preset standard. For many, the act of qualifying should be accomplishment enough. Of course, this is one of those do as I say, rather then do as I do. Looking back at the last week or so at my food journal, it's amazing how much I drink every day. I wonder if this is normal. I'm sure it's not a bad thing. It's not like I'm approaching water intoxication levels, but it is interesting.

No comments: