Friday, April 11, 2008

A Down Day

Usually after those 20+ mile weekday runs, I'm dead tired at night and get to sleep at a reasonable time. Yesterday was no exception. I was in bed by 9:45 (very good for me). I guess all the miles I'm putting in this week may be having a negative impact on me. It took me a little longer then normal to fall asleep and I woke up about 45 minutes later. The next hour was very interrupted and then I was wide awake. I was then awake for a good 2 hours. I was unmotivated and tired so I wasn't to make good use of this time either. What a waste. Now I'm exhausted. Normally interrupted sleeping patterns are a sign of overtraining, but I don't believe that is the case. My morning HR is still in the correct range and I think my 1-2 rest or active recovery days per week is keeping me from overtraining. Definitely something to keep an eye on, but at this point, I'll chalk it up to a bad night.

There was definitely no running today. I wanted to take the day off completely, but I hadn't been to the gym in over a week. So, I lifted today.
The workout was pretty weak as I was tired and unmotivated, but at least I got there and got some lifting in. I skipped legs today as they were a bit sore. I really could have used an ice bath yesterday, but didn't really think about it until today. Instead I took a hot shower. This is probably why I'm still a bit sore today. I think an ice bath will be in my future tomorrow.

Food:

  • 1 1/2 bowls of All Bran Strawberry Medley with 12 oz Skim Milk
  • PowerBar
  • 1/2 serving of N-Large (chocolate) with 12 of of Skim Milk
  • Original Protein Berry Workout with Immunity from Jamba Juice
  • Munchies Cheese Fix Snack Mix (250 calories)
  • Pita Chips and Hummus
  • Health Mex Chicken Burrito (Rubio's)
  • Reduced Fat Tortilla Chips
  • 2 York Peppermint Patties (small)
Drink:
  • 100 oz Water
  • 30 oz Coffee
  • 12 oz Black Tea
  • 12 oz Diet Soda
  • 16 oz Milk
  • 24 oz Beer (Amber Bock)
Grade: C+
Well, the quality and quantity wasn't horrible today (until tonight), but there wasn't much substance. A weight gainer shake and Jamba Juice are mostly healthy, provide quick (and needed) energy and protein and they are without a lot of fat. Drinking my lunch is not all that fulfilling. Since I was busy and didn't get a chance to eat today, this worked out pretty well. Unfortunately, after work, I took in a few too many calories. I justified it in two ways. First, I have 20 miler tomorrow morning. Secondly, I woke up this morning at a weight lower then I've been probably since high school. I don't really have too much weigh to lose. So, I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

No comments: