Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Injury Day #2

I expected to wake up feeling a bit better today and assumed I would feel less and less pain in my ribs throughout the day. I woke up with more pain than I had yesterday. I already feel frustration starting to creep in.

-----------
I'm writing the rest of this blog many hours later and feeling a bit better about the ribs. They are still a bit sore, but my experience at softball today has me feeling a bit more confident about them continuing to cause days off. I have a busy schedule tomorrow, so I may just take one more day off to ensure things keep getting better and then get back to it on Thursday. I think the main thing is that I keep a positive outlook on the situation. The worst thing that will come out of this is that I can't reach the 3:07 goal for Rock n Roll. (I'm not so sure that is possible even without the injury.) This is not my "A" race this year, so it's not a huge problem if I do not get that finishing time.

Tonight was the 2nd softball game of the season. Our coach could not make it and she asked me to take care of the team tonight. The afternoon started out as a bit of a mess. I needed to get a ride to the field as I do not have access to get on the military base where the game was to be held. The game is supposed to start at 5:20, but my ride was late and we didn't get to the field until 5:25. There is a 15 minute windows before a team needs to forfeit. So we get there and I'm running around getting my cleats on, making out the lineup (there are about 6-7 new players on the team that I do not know and do not know where they play) and meeting with the other coach to discuss game stuff. Their team was home and out on the field and ready to go. I do a quick discussion with the team and we're off. We have 16 people in the line-up. Ridiculous! I didn't get a chance to warm up and was up 3rd. I hit a ball down 3rd base that I knew I would beat out at first. I ran just hard enough to get there in time without getting out. There was some pain, but nothing that would keep me from playing. When I got out to SS, I took a few warm up throws, taking it easy as my arm was cold. Reaching down for the ground ball and making the throw was OK. Again, a little pain, but nothing major.


Our team was still not great, but we looked better than last week. Our hitting definitely improved from the first week. Long story short, it was mostly back and forth. We were up by as much as 6 and down by as much as three. Going to the top of the 9th, we were down 2. We scored 4 and held them to 0 runs in the bottom of the 9th to pull out the win, 27-25. Woohoo! We are now 1-1. I made some pretty stellar plays in the field, but only played 1/2 the game in the field as I swapped with one of the new guys. (Unfortunately they hit tons to the SS position and he struggled a bit.) I had interesting hitting stats. The first AB was an infield single. We are only allowed to score 5 runs an inning. In the 2nd inning, we had already scored 4 and a guy was on 1st. I smoked one to the outfield and stopped at first while he came around to score. If I would have tried, it would have been at least a double. The third AB, was arguably a 3 run HR. Anyone that knew what they were doing would have caught the ball, but he misplayed it and gave me and HR. The 4th AB, we had 2 runners on and 3 in already. I smoked another one over the center fielder. Since they are slow and I am fast, I was able to get around to 3rd for a triple. It would have been another HR, but it was five. So, you could argue, that I would have hit for the cycle if I would have ran out the 2nd AB. Of course, if they didn't have the 5 run rule, I would have had a single and 3 HRs, but who's counting. :) Line stats were AB=4, R=2, H=4, 3B=1, HR=1, RBI=6


Season Stats
AB - 7
R - 4
H - 6
2B - 1
3B - 1
HR - 2
RBI - 11

Cubs win again! Woohoo! The first time they have won 14 of the first 20 since 1975. Second best record in the majors. 0-3 Lilly pitched out a trouble a couple times today to get his first win of the season. Their hitting is amazing and their pitching is getting back to where it should be. It could be scary for the rest of the league this year. Oddly enough, 2 other teams have 2 digit wins this year in the central. Very odd as the central tends to have weaker records.

Congrats to Mike, Art and Dan for finishing the Boston Marathon on Monday. I haven't had a chance to talk to any of them yet, but I tracked them during the race. I don't think everyone got the times they were looking for, but just completing is great. Great job guys!



Food Journal


Food
  • 1 bowl Cinnamon Oatmeal Squares with ~10 oz Skim Milk
  • 1/2 bowl Cinnamon Crunchy Nature Valley
  • Chicken Caesar Salad
  • 2 Pop-tarts
  • Pita Chips and Hummus
  • Chips and Salsa
Drink
  • 80 oz Water
  • ~30 oz Coffee
  • 24 oz Diet Dr. Pepper
  • 12 oz Diet Coke
  • 12 of Tea
Comments
I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep the food journal. It's a bit of a pain, but it could be a good reference to go back and look at when I want to check trends on my training/eating. Earlier today, I was pretty set on stopping. Now, I'm not positive if I'll stop or not.

No comments: