Saturday, April 12, 2008

The End of an Epic Week

Well, I finished my 4th 18+ mile day and 3rd 20+ mile day of the week. I got out to an early start at 6 am since they were calling for 90s today. I started with one running buddy and we did 5. We met the rest of the group at 7 and all took off together for 12. The group had a good showing today as we all wanted one last visit to wish luck to the three from our group that are doing the Boston Marathon next Monday. Three of us then tacked on another 5K that we ended up doing at an up tempo. All in all it was a good run. It was very flat and not very challenging, but as a lot of it was on concrete, it wore out my feet and knees. I got home and took a 20 minute ice bath to reduce swelling and limit the soreness that this week has provided.


Let's recap what was involved in the last 7 days. I did
  1. Sunday - 18+
  2. Monday - 23
  3. Tuesday - 8+ (speed, intervals)
  4. Wednesday - rest
  5. Thursday - 25 (speed, tempo)
  6. Friday - gym
  7. Saturday - 20
For the week, this gives me 94.76 miles. Sadly enough, I briefly considered tacking on 5 more today so I could hit an even 100 miles, but decided it was pretty ridiculous. The only thing it was really going to gain me was bragging rights and that's about it. I think most of the people I run with already think I'm crazy. So it's unlikely to change much. The flip side is that this is likely the only time in my life that I'll do anything like this so it was my chance. Obviously, if I'm motivated enough to reach some milestone like this again, I'll do it.

I finally started catching up on records shows today. I watch the Tuesday American Idol show and The Biggest Loser. I still have to shows of American Idol to watch yet this week so I'm not going to say anything about that. I continue to be absolutely amazed, inspired, motivated and extremely happy for the contestants on The Biggest Loser. This was the episode where the final few contestants get to review just how far they have come. Sure the money would be nice for them, but I'm sure every single one of the contestants that were able to change their life around would gladly pass up the money for the opportunity they have been given. I think anyone that wants to start exercising, but is unable to motivate themselves to start should watch this use. Amazing!

Food
  • 1/2 serving N-Large with 8 oz Skim Milk
  • 4 scoops of Carbo Pro
  • 2 Nuun tablets
  • 1 PowerBar
  • Pita Chips and Hummus
  • 2 slices of Coney Island Meat Pizza
  • Pita Chips and Hummus
  • 1 Beef Taco (soft)
  • ~1/2 Cheese Enchilada
  • Rice, Beans and Chips
  • 4 - Icee (25 calories each)
  • 1 Peppermint Pattie (small)
  • 12 oz Beer (Amber Bock)
Drink
  • 124 oz Water
  • 32 oz G2 Gatorade
  • 32 oz Diet Coke
  • 20 oz Coffee
  • 12 oz Diet Dr. Pepper
  • ~10 oz Pepsi
Grade: C
As far as total calories go today, I was probably somewhere around the right ball park. The quality left a bit to be desired. The 2 slices of pizza were not the best, but it was only 2 slices. That could have been much worse. Dinner could have been much worse as well. I made sure the taco wasn't fried. That helped. I didn't eat nearly all the rice and beans and there was still a good amount of cheese enchilada left. The plate was still very heavy when it went into the trash. However, there was quite a bit of fat in that meal.

No comments: