Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Speed Work - Repeats

Even though this is the first week of taper, I like to keep doing speed work. I think it's very important for this marathon as my training has been all over the grid for this race. I'm not exactly sure where I stand so I feel that I need to keep up tempo speed pace fresh in my mind so I can be more comfortable during the race. As it is the taper, I need to work on cutting down on the distance over the next couple weeks. I will make it a point of not running to/from work before the race. This will help keep my total miles under 50.

My speed session today went pretty well. I felt really good during the workout and felt like I was able to push myself pretty good. With that said, I can tell that I need more structure. During the intervals, I could tell that my 1200s were at a slower pace than they should have been. I didn't have any time goals for each interval. I was just pushing myself through them. I think seeing the figures from each interval proves that I need a bit more structure. My next race will have specifics for each speed session. So much so that I usually need to bring a cheat sheet with me to help me remember the pace and distance for each interval. If I know the pace I should be shooting for, I will push myself to get to that number. Since I didn't have any numbers to go on today, I was just blindly pushing myself.

The run for the day ended up being intervals by myself at Miramar Lake rather then doing ATP with the group. My work schedule is completely crazy right now and I need all the spare time I can get (of course, still throwing in time to put together this blog though). In addition, at one point, there was a chance that I would be playing a double header softball game tonight as well. Fortunately I was only going to be used if necessary and I was not needed. It was tough telling the coach that I would only be a substitute if they needed me. It was a chance to get into a competitive softball league very close to my house. With all the studying I need to do for this Java certification by the end of June and a big project deadline looming around the same time, I just don't have enough spare time to add another softball league.

I've been trying to get to the specifics of the run for a couple paragraphs now, but keep getting side tracked by other nonsense. Here we go... The goal was to do a 1 mile warm up followed by a pyramid of 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800 with 400 recoveries followed by a 1 mile cool down. I ended up dong 6.52 miles in 47:06. Here are the specifics of each IV. The values are
distance - time(pace) - avg heart rate
--------------------------------------
.51 - 3:00.50(5:56) - 170 bpm
.25 - 2:07.00 - 155 bpm
.76 - 4:43.63(6:14) - 170 bpm
.25 - 2:07.90 - 156 bpm
1.00 - 5:55.00 (5:54) - 177 bpm
.25 - 2:12.17 - 161 bpm
.75 - 4:38.45(6:09) - 176 bpm
.25 - 2:17.63 - 164 bpm
.51 - 2:59.04(5:53) - 179 bpm

As it's already after 10 and I still have tons to do for the night and a early morning wake up call, I think I need to end this for the night.

Food Journal


Food
  • Strawberry Medley Cereal w/ 10 oz Skim Milk
  • Chicken Breast, mashed potatoes w/ gravy, 1/2 corn on cob, corn bread
  • 2 - PowerBars
  • Chips and Salsa
  • South Beach Diet Pepperoni Pizza w/ 12 oz Skim Milk
  • 4 Otter Pops
Drink
  • 137 oz Water
  • 20 oz Coffee
  • 24 oz Diet Dr. Pepper
  • 12 oz Tea

No comments: