Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sleep Deprivation

Maybe it's not really deprivation, but it is bad. I know me. I can survive, but I am certainly not very productive when super tired. My average sleep for the last 4 night is right around 5 hours per night. This is definitely not enough for me. I can tell that my mind works much slower when I'm in this state. This probably worked out pretty good for this morning speed session as I just did it without thinking, but when it comes to working and softball, it takes it's toll.

Let's start with this morning's run. I decided to only do 4 miles at tempo rather than 5. I'm not 100% sure what is appropriate during the taper, but I figured less was probably safer. I did a 1 mile warm up, 4 mile tempo and a 1 mile cool down in 42.03. I was very tired when I woke up and didn't expect much out of the workout. So I was pleasantly surprised. For the 4 miles, I average 6:27.5 per mile with an average HR of 170. Most of it was actually zone 3 training. Not that I've reviewed my fitness testing results on this blog yet, but reviewing my printout from my test, it was perfect for the workout. Hmm, not bad.

Work was another packed day. I had to leave early (on time) to run out to a softball game. During the day, I was very productive, but I could tell my mind wasn't working at full capacity. I expect tomorrow will be worse as I need to get back to work after this and I'll be working for a while.

Softball was a nightmare. I think it can mostly be attributed to my lack of sleep. In addition, due to me not being able to get on base by myself, I got to the game about 5 minutes before it started. It was not enough time to fully warm up my arm and legs. This was potentially my worst game of softball ever. For some reason I was batting clean up. I don't understand that one. First inning, up with the bases loaded and I sack fly because I miss hit the ball. Next AB was a weak pop up to first. Third AB was a sac fly to center on another bad hit. Oddly enough, I got to RBIs on that one Fourth AB, I hit my best shot, but right at the SS. I reached on an error and scored. So I was 0-2 on the night. That was the best part. My fielding was a nightmare. I bobbled so many balls tonight. I think I got out and made more errors tonight than I have all season combined. Blech! We lost by 2. Hmm, I think I can find 2 runs in my O-fer night and my errors. Pure crap. The game lasted forever and I had to wait a good 30 minutes for my ride to get me to my car. So I got home an hour later than normal. Just what I need.

Season Stats
G - 3
AB - 9
R - 5
H - 6
2B - 1
3B - 1
HR - 2
RBI - 14
SF - 2
AVG - .667
SLG - 1.667

On that note, back to work. Here's hoping that 6 hours of sleep somehow completely refreshed me. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We have software release tomorrow night at work. I'll be at the office until at least 10
(if all goes well) tomorrow night. Yea!

Food Journal


Food
  • mini Clif Bar
  • PowerBar
  • 1 1/2 bowls Oatmeal Crunch w/ 10 oz Skim Milk
  • original Jamba Juice 3G Energizer w/ Protein
  • PowerBar
  • South Beach Diet Pepperoni Pizza
  • Chips and Salsa
Drink
  • 131 oz Water
  • 44 oz Coffee
  • 12 oz Skim Milk

No comments: