Saturday, May 3, 2008

Rock and Roll Marathon Goals

Today was a recovery day. We did 20+ last weekend and plan on doing 20+ next weekend. So we dropped down to 16 today. It was only Andy and I as Marc Fit broke into multiple locations for the day (including Mike's bedroom :) ). As everyone had different goals for the day, Andy and I met at Swami's for a run up and down the coast. We started out slow and 2 of the first 7 were over 9 min miles (one was hilly) and 2 o the miles were 8:40+. The rest was around 8 min/mile including 8 of the last 9 at sub 8s. I felt good during the run and felt like I could have done more distance and/or more speed.

During the run, Andy and I talked about our goals for the upcoming Rock and Roll Marathon. The idea of running another Boston Qualifier was brought up again. I'm already qualified for the 2009 Boston having run a sub 3:15 at St. George last year and that fell withing the 18 month qualifying window. As I'll be 35 at the 2009 Boston, I'll be qualified. As I'm still 34, I'd like to qualify with a sub 3:10 as this is what a 34 year old needs. The problem is that I've only run 1 sub 3:10 race and I feel that I was in better shape then. I do not feel as if I'm anywhere near my speed potential right now. My endurance is very good, but my speed is definitely lacking. It seems that Andy has more confidence in my abilities than I do. He is very positive and optimistic. That's not to say that I'm negative and pessimistic. I feel that I am a realist. It is very likely that we will push it and see how fast we can push it. If we take that approach, I'd say there is better than a 66% chance that I blow up and do another death march to the finish line. Here's the dilemma, do I take the safe approach, aim for a 3:15 and do what I'm pretty sure I can do? Or aim for a 3:07 and go until I either make it in that time or blow up and suffer to finish line in 3:40 - 3:50? Or aim for a 3:07 and if after 5-10 I can tell there is no chance, back off a bit, adjust the goal to 3:20 or 3:25 and make it to the finish line.

I know the smart choice. I know the realistic choice. But am I limiting myself by not pushing myself to my potential? Am I setting myself up for failure by having these doubts in my head?

We are now 4 weeks out from race day. I guess I do not have to have a decision right now. I definitely have some things to think about in the coming weeks.


Food Journal


Food
  • Myoplex Lite Protein Bar
  • Power Bar
  • Phil's BBQ (partial BBQ pork sandwich, 1 piece BBQ Chickless, 2 BBQ Ribs, Fries)
  • 6 Life Savers
  • 4 Sliders and Fries (Yardhouse)
  • 3 Otter Pops
Drink
  • 100 oz Water
  • 12 oz Tea
  • 17 oz Coffee
  • 12 oz Diet Dr. Pepper
  • 16 oz Diet Coke
  • 1/2 yard Downtown Brown
  • 1 pint Fat Tire

No comments: