Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Bad Week for Exercise

Monday - After taking a week off from speed work because 1 I was too busy and 2 I was recovering from AFC, I got back to speed work this week. The schedule for today called for 1k, 2k, 1k, 1k aiming for 3:31 /K (5:39 /mile) for 1Ks and 7:25 /K (5:56 /mile) for 2Ks with 400m recoveries. Definitely felt a bit rusty as I came close to hitting my goal times.
.62, 3:39 (5:56), 168 bpm
.25, 3:10 (12:36), 129 bpm
1.24, 7:24 (6:00), 170 bpm
.25, 2:58, (11:55), 141 bpm
.63, 3:30, (5:34), 175 bpm
.25 2:59, (11:44), 144 bpm
.63, 3:39, (5:50), 177 bpm

Tuesday - We played our last softball game of the season in the casual league. We were playing awesome, up 8-1 after 6 innings. We made a few errors and gave up 8 runs in the 7th, fell behind for first time and never caught back up. I was fine in the field, but my hitting was horrendous. I was something like 0-3 with a sac fly and an RBI. Everything I hit was a weak popup. I didn't drive anything and definitely cost our team some runs where I can usually be counted on. What a crappy way to be knocked out of the play offs.

Wednesday - Goal was 1 mile warm up and then 5 miles at 6:41 pace. Hit goal pace, but it felt harder than I thought it would.
1 - 6:37, 164 bpm
2 - 6:34, 168 bpm
3 - 6:31, 170 bpm
4 - 6:38, 174 bpm
5 - 6:26, 178 bpm
averages 6:33.2, 170.8

Thursday - I was too busy to get in any type of workout before, during or after work.

Friday - I was too busy to get in any type of workout before, during or after work.

Saturday - The goal for today as to run 20. I have not done a 20 miler in quite some time. I had a pretty terrible week of eating and I wasn't able to workout nearly as much as I would have hoped to. The plan was to run out to Iron Mountain and back (but not up it). This gets us around 17 and then we would tack on another few here and there to hit 20. This is not an easy course by any stretch of the imagination, but it would be easier than the last time as 1,000 ft of elevation ascent and descent. Long story short, it was a crappy, crappy workout today. I ended up having stomach cramps for about 1/2 of the run and walking part of it. I hit 19.26 miles and called it quits. I'm usually pretty anal when it comes to hitting my goal distance, but I figured it was pretty much going to be useless miles and I had no desire to go any more than I had to. It was brutal. It's amazing how I could run 18 last weekend and then immediately do 30+ on my bike, but today, I run 19 and had nothing left in the tank at the end. I was pretty useless afterwards too. Very frustrating!


This seemed like a pretty bad week of training as I missed 3 days of workouts because I simply did no have enough time to get them in and I ended the week with one of my worst long runs in a long time. I have found that I have been getting a bit more sleep these days, but my eating has gotten to be very bad. I haven't cut that much caffeine out of my diet yet either. As the race is now only 5 weeks away, I really need to get things under control. I think I may need to reenact the food journal for a week or two as it forces me to eat better as I have to report everything I take in. I don't feel like I've been taking in enough water either lately. I think doing this will help all of these "problems" I feel I have right now before the race.

No comments: