Tuesday, June 3, 2008

May Monthly Summary (and other stuff)

Recovery continues to be going very well. I woke up this morning with a tiny bit of soreness that quickly went away. I considered going for a little jog, but figured I should really give my legs some rest. So I went to the gym and did some light lifting to help myself get back into it. Even though I took it easy, I'm sure I'll be a bit sore the next couple days as I haven't lifted in a couple months.

My monthly totals for May were down this month. This is mostly due to the taper for the marathon, but was also due to all the extra work and studying I have been doing. I haven't run to/from work in over a month. That definitely cuts down on distance. As gas prices continue to go up and up, I will likely get back to it again and potentially get back to cycling to/from work again. For comparisons, see April totals.


I'm still on pace for my first 2000 mile year, but have fallen off the pace of averaging 200 miles per month. As my training for my next race will highly focus on quality speed sessions, I'm not yet sure what kind of monthly distances I'll be hitting.


Without really trying, I lost another pound again this month. Looking at the numbers, the majority of it looked to be muscle. I can definitely feel it too. I am very weak right now. My core is incredibly weak. I definitely need to get back to the gym to build some strength. As I don't plan on trying to gain weight before my next race and since I have a really hard time putting on muscle, I don't expect to pack on any additional weight. It should help me with strength and posture which will come in very handy during my next race.


Here's the yearly summaries so far for comparison. One thing that is very interesting to see is that my average sleep is down a bit, it's actually been down under 7 hours per night for the past 3 month now. I definitely need to work on this as my training intensity increases over the nexts few months. Unfortunately, that will not start until July.


The Cubs continue to be red hot. They have won 8 in a row and are ahead again tonight against the lowly Padres. They have the best record in the majors and continue to fight back from being down night after night. It's absolutely incredible to see this team hit this year. They are looking good right now.

Today was my second coaching stint of the season. I had 11 confirmed players up until 15 minutes before I had to leave for the game. Two plays canceled on me. That put us down to 9 players. We could potentially be ok with 9 players. Then, 1 of the women who confirmed she would be there did not show up without telling me she wouldn't be there. We ended up with only 8 players, two of who showed up way late. Instead of the normal 4 outfields, plus rover, we were playing with only 3 outfielders. Given the situation, our loss of 9-19 isn't so bad, but it was a disappointing day. We didn't hit that well.

I think I need to take a break in playing softball. These past few weeks of getting little sleep has greatly affected my playing in the field. I made some plays again today, but I missed a handful of routine plays that I don't usually miss. I'm not sure if I'm just not focusing enough or what the problem is. It's pretty annoying. I mean, my team is bad and I'm not sure that they'd be better off without me, but I'm thinking I should take a break and let someone else fill in to see how it goes. My hitting is staying OK during this struggle, so I'm at least helping the team out this way. Today I was 4 for 6 with 1 run scored, 1 double and 3 RBIs.

Season Stats
G - 6
AB - 26
R - 14
H - 18
2B - 4
3B - 4
HR - 3
RBI - 26
SF - 2
AVG - .692
SLG - 1.500


Food Journal


Foods
  • low-fat Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake (Starbucks)
  • Powerbar
  • Chicken Caesar Salad
  • Cracklin Oat Bran Cereal
  • Original Jamba Juice Coldbuster w/ Protein
Drink
  • 140 oz Water
  • 20 oz Coffee
  • 12 oz Diet Dr. Pepper
  • 12 oz Mountain Dew

No comments: