Sunday, June 29, 2008

Time for a Break

After 6 weeks of continuous stress and tiredness, I had a nice, productive, relaxing weekend. I work for one day this week and then head out on vacation for a few days. I get to spend time with my entire immediate family. There's always bad eating and some drinking going on along with lots of time spent out on the boat boat skiing and tubing (not while drinking though ;) ). This summer may be a bit different. At least three of us will be doing a 5 mile race on the 4th. That may put a damper on the eating and drinking. This is my parents' first race and they are super psyched for it. I'm sure they are going to eat well and not drink. If I'm running it with them, anything goes, but there's a chance I may try burn it out. If that's the case, I can't fill the tank with pizza and beer and expect to perform that well. I could actually do that and complete destroy my 5 mile PR. Well, I've never run 5 miles before during a race, but I have done an 8K a couple times. That is essentially 5 miles (just a bit shy). This was years ago before I became a runner. My PR is 43 minutes. (You can see all my results on my Athlinks page.) I'm not sure what the course looks like and just how hot and humid it will be on Friday, but I'm expecting somewhere around 33 minutes if I burn it out. So I think I could run the entire thing backwards and beat my best 8K time. But then again, it might just be more enjoyable to take it easy and enjoy the race with my family. We'll see.

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July. I may not have another entry until next weekend. Good luck to all of you doing races this coming week.

No comments: