Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Last Long Run

I woke up Saturday morning know it was going to be a very long day. The goal for the morning run was to head out for the last long run before race day (which is now only 3 weeks away). We were looking to do the Tour of San Diego which is a 22 mile loop around downtown San Diego. We started at 6 am. Just under 3 hours later, we were done. It was another bad run for me again. this means my last 2 longs runs before race day were crappy. That's not good for the mental training that I need. I was able to push myself for the last 3 miles when I was really struggling. When I get to that point in a marathon, I tend to crumble. Hopefully when this hits again, I'll be ready for it.

I was hoping for a speedy recovery so I jumped into an ice bath when I got home. It's amazing how much and how long that lowers your overall body temperature. I was cold for a long time, but hey, my legs weren't hurting anymore.

After that we had a bunch of running around and shopping to do. Nothing exciting, but just making things clear that I'm not resting yet. After that, I was able to rest for around 30-60 minutes.

After the rest period, it was time to start the 2nd major part of the day. My company had a softball tournament all day Saturday. There were 3 different levels. I was playing in the very competitive Open division. The talent is very high in this division. I have played with the the same the last 4 years. We won it a few years ago and had a very disappointing tournament last year. There has never been a team in the league that has a woman playing, except us. The same woman has played with us every year. I guess most teams figure it would be a waste of a spot to add a woman. Not us. She is one of our best players. Anyway, I digress. Long story short, we played at 6, 7, and 8 in a round robin fashion to set the seedings for the finals. We won the first 2, was a head in the third 8-6 until we we gave up 12 runs in one inning. In 3 games total we gave up 35 runs. It's pretty sad that 12 of those runs were in one inning. Three teams were 2-1 and one was 0-3. The tie breaker was runs given up. We ended up second seed by 2 runs. D'oh! We won the first game at 9 pm and we were in the finals schedule for 10 pm. We played the same team that scored 12 runs against us. It was back and forth until the 4 or 5th inning were down 7-8 and scored 11 on them to go up 18-8. That's ironic. We held on to win by 7 or 8 and took it down. Sweet! It's now 11:10ish by the time we were done with everything. I was home, showered, in bed and sleeping by pretty close to 11:35. Man was I wiped. What a long day!

No comments: