Monday, March 31, 2008

Running and Politics

Today is the only day this week that will work out for me to commute to work by way of running. So I did another 20+ mile run today.

There wasn't too much that is exciting to report other then my arrival time being just under 8 min/miles and my uphill run home was just over 8 min/miles.

I guess this is a sign that I'm getting in better shape even though I'm not feel 100% during these runs. Testing adding images to these postings.

Not sure I will keep them and if I do, not sure it will be showing elevation and HR. I'd like to turn one of these runs per week into a nice tempo run, but I never seem to have the energy. Now that the race is only about 2 months out, I really need to start adding some speed work to my routines. On Friday, I'm going in for V02 fitness testing. So I'm trying to save the really hard speed work until after that test. I have my normal Tuesday speed work this week, but that is 3 day before the test and hopefully will not affect anything. We are supposed to be changing our intervals from 400s to 800s so it may be a bit more intense. It may not be great for this week, but in general it is good. 400s (and I'm sure 800s as well) are not the best repeats for marathon running, but I still feel that it helps. I think I get the most benefit out of mile repeats, but there is no chance I'm convincing the rest of the group to do that with me.

I hate politics. It's just a bunch of craziness that gets everyone to yell at each other instead of having civilized conversations. So it is quite odd that I say I'm reading Barak Obama's "The Audacity of Hope". This is made even strange because I've always considered myself a republican. How can I be a republican if I hate all politics? Well, my parents were republicans so I've always called myself one. The truth of the matter is, I feel I may actually be a bit too liberal for being a republican, but at the same time, I'm a bit too conservative to be a democrat. Anywho, I've started reading his book and find it very interesting. He seems to be very well spoken and even tempered whenever I've heard him speak. I've only just begun the book, but he seems to have some good ideas. Hmm, I may have to vote democrat this election.

Today I just finished the 2nd book in "The Chronicles of Narnia". I never read these as a kid. I watched "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and found it to be pretty interesting.
So I decided to start reading the series. I decided to take the chronological order and read "The Magician's Nephew" first and now just finished "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". The books are pretty interesting. I wish I would have known these as a kid. I'm sure I would have loved them.

I love baseball. Although, my interest in watching and/or listening to games has diminished over the years, I still love the sport. I'm a die hard Cubs fan and I'm expecting great things this season. Although, we had a bit of a rough start today in the 9th and 10th innings, but hey, it's only game 1.

No comments: