Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hilly Trail Run Today

Today was a fun run. Since I'm not stressing about my time or the distance for this marathon coming up, I can go out and enjoy my runs. Living in San Diego, I don't get real hill work out here. Not that this would quality as real hill work for those that do real hills, but for me it was a good. I did 14 miles today and a good 8-9 of it was on hills. It was up. It was down. It was full of rocks. My heart rate got as high at 190 today, but I average right at 154. We ended with 1700+ feet of elevation gain during the run today. We went through a nature preserve that was very empty. We got to see lakes and streams along with hearing the sounds of nature as we were running. It was absolutely great. I loved every minute of it... even when my HR was a 190.

I'm keeping this one short and sweet. I'm tired and ready for bed. Maybe more of these trail runs will help encourage me to get my butt out there and do my first ultra. The plan was to do the PCT 50 coming up here in a few weeks, but decided against it recently. Before that, my first was going to be the Lake Hodges 50K, but as it was canceled this year due to the fires, I didn't have the option. Maybe I'll do that one next year for fun to see if that's something that I'd truly be interested in.

No comments: